Library Experience: Interacting with Patrons and Staff
Reading Aloud Programs
- Create and implement Staff Picks: a "Recommended Book List" display where the staff shares book recommendations with patrons. (Promotes children, young adult, and adult collections)
Summer Reading Parties
- Organize the programs while interacting with parents and children.
- Document all of the programs—taking pictures for display of the program each week.
Young Adult Programs
- Coordinate the celebration to mark the end of the annual summer reading program with prizes and certificates for children.
- Assist in Preteen and Teen programs.
- Create Flyers and Handouts for Teen/Child Patrons.
Floor Plans, Signage, and Display
- Analyze circulation statistics to determine whether a book should be eliminated (includes the children’s collection, young adult collection, paperbacks, fiction, non-fiction, travel books.)
- Liaised with Cataloging Department to add new titles, evaluate books for weeding, and revise and maintain the records.
- Contribute to a layout plan for moving and placing collections based on traffic patterns.
- Contribute to a signage plan and create engaging displays to identify collections.
- Supervise student employees and volunteers to ensure their work is complete and correct.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and knowledge of Dreamweaver and HTML.
- Proficient with both PC and Mac computers.
- Assist library staff and patrons needing help with computer research and technical problems.